вторник, 9 ноября 2010 г.

Google AppEngine Experience

At first glance, AppEngine is really nice with all that cloud-computing. Pay only for what you use. Scale indefinitely. Of course, you have some limitations, like custom (Python or Java) environment with predefined APIs. But APIs are really good and mostly sufficient.

At second glance, AppEngine is really, really nice! You'll fine a great toolset in SDK and application management console. Version management, quota settings, convenient shell scripts in SDK for deployment and testing. Also log managers, kind of simple profiler, etc. I cant imagine how many efforts were spent on the toolset.

At third glance you'll find AppEngine unusable.

  • After two years of being released there are unexpected errors in the management console. Sometimes I cannot enter it for some hours.
  • When you need to delete a table from datastore - cross your fingers. Sometimes a certain table becomes corrupted and you cannot delete it. Only application recreation helps.
  • AppEngine pricing claims 10 cents for CPU hour. Good. But you have to use the CPU through the API. When I tried to upload my 1 GB database to AppEngine, it took some hours of real time and some days of AppEngine CPU time. It cost me about $60 just to upload my database! I have to admit, this is hard part. But Postgresql does this database back and forth in minutes!
  • Finally, I managed to port my application and to upload all the data. But the cost per pageview is tremendous. I would cost me hundreds bucks a month instead of current inexpensive dedicated server (which is busy about 10% at peaks).

Комментариев нет: